How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a notice from the IRS that says they received

Customer Question

I received a notice from the IRS that says they received 1099's under my wife's SS number for income from New York Life. We have never received any taxable income, nor 1099's, from New York Life, and furthermore my wife has never had any retirement or life insurance income from them. Who should I contact to straighten this out?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You need to request your IRS forms or account transcripts for that year. Does the notice say the distribution code for the 1099R? I am assuming it is 1099R. When you look at the notice, there should be a section a table where IRS states what form is it, how much was reported to IRS and how much you claimed on your return. Does the description has a distribution code? Did you wife had a loan from her 401K maybe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The IRS notice says there are two of these false (to me) distributions, shown as: Form 1099-R & Distrib CD 7. One is for $1,130 and one for $14,500. I reported a variety on other income on the filed return (including 1099-R income and income from other payers), but this is not being changed.How do I request these IRS forms that I have never received, and if sent were to another address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife has never worked anywhere to receve any retirement income, or a 401K loan. We are very careful to report all of our income, and this is a complete mystery to us. I suspect that someone used, or entered, an incorrect SS No. which happens to be my wife's.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here's how to get your online transcript. It is a line by line version of all forms reported to IRS from third parties under your our your spouse's social security number.

Once you get the transcript, you will have to contact the issuer directly. Maybe there was a social security number mismatch. The issuer will need you to issue corrected 1099R that you will use to respond to the IRS letter.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.