Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have considered investing in Real Estate rental properties

Customer Question
Hello . I am Bill...
Hello . I am Bill Rector. I have considered investing in Real Estate rental properties through a self directed IRA, but the self directed IRA looks a bit complicated. I am concerned that it would be a tax filing and accounting nightmere? However , I may be wrong. Do you reccommed or not recommend a self directed IRA for Real Estate investments that would be rented out?
Thank you,
Bill Rector
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/12/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi Bill, my name is***** am a CPA. I would be happy to help you with your questions.

There are a lot of rules that would need to be followed for the Self-Directed IRA.

If you are planning on investing in Real Estate, I believe that you would be better off investing personally or setting up an LLC.

One of the benefits of investing personally is taking advantage of the 1031 exchange rules. With 1031 exchanges you can effectively defer the gain from rental property.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am looking for a more specific answer. In your opinion, is it a better idea to not invest in Real Estate through a self directed IRA due to all of the rules that must be followed?

Yes, In my opinion I believe that it is better to invest personally. Depending on your Adjusted gross income you would be able to take advantage of rental losses.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I am happy to discuss my opinion. I apologize I was not trying to be vague in my prior response.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney