How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15733
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client who is an IT consultant and work entirely in

Customer Question

I have a client who is an IT consultant and work entirely in the USA and is paid in dollars.
he is a u.k. resident.
He is approaching the vat threshold.
If he goes over does he have to be vat registered
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


His services in the US would be exempt from VAT. You must register when you go over the threshold, or know that you will. The threshold is based on your turnover - the total of everything sold that isn’t VAT exempt.

As his services in the US are not under VAT he would not have to register for VAT.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.