How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3003
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two clients who just divorced in 2016. In 2013, 14

Customer Question

I have two clients who just divorced in 2016. In 2013, 14 and 15 they incorrectly filed their taxes. One filed HOH and one Single. But they were not legally divorced or separated. They want to voluntarily correct this and file MFJ for 2013-2015. This is background data and not a question. The Question is how do I correct two separate returns to MFJ.The only change is filing status. I use Pro Series. How do I amend two returns to one?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You will have to file two amendments. Start with the one that filed HOH. Use the return as original for the joint amendments adding other spouse's income/deductions. Than file 1040x for the one that filed single and remove all income/deduction. Basically, bring it all down to 0.

The easiest way is to create a joint 1040 and use the HOH filer as primary taxpayer and Single filer as spouse. Than you just transfer the amounts from your newly created 1040 to column C of 1040X, using the original HOH 1040 in column A.

Add explanation and file both returns together.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If the software allows it (most do), open the Hoh return, select amended return and than add the other spouse's information. Most softwares will automatically calculate your 1040x. Just make sure that you create federal as well as your state 1040x. Otherwise you will have to do the state manually.

I usually make a copy of the original return and amend the copy, so I still have the originally filed return without changes.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.