How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3004
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you have to give part of the tax income you get your

Customer Question

do you have to give part of the tax income you get for claiming your child to the other parent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Not according to IRS rules. Unless your divorce agreement states so, which would be very unusual, than no, you do not need to share your refund with the other parent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i was never married this is just the mother of my child i giver a large amount every year i asked this question because i was wondering if it acts as child support which i dont know if you would be able to answer that
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Your refund is yours. It doesn't count towards child support.

Claiming a child does't guarantee you a refund and everybody's situation is different. So the refund is not included in child support or any other child related calculations.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

A tax return is a complex calculation of income, deductions and credits and to calculate an actual benefit of claiming a child would require an experienced tax professional. For instance an actual benefit of a 3K deduction is different if your income is 25K or 75K. The child tax credit for somebody with 85K income would most likely result in 3K tax savings, but for somebody with 25K income could be as low as $250, depending on type of income. It is unpredictable and that's the main reason why a tax refund or actual benefit of claiming a child is not included in any child support calculation or never part of a shared parenting agreement.

Anyway, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.