How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got a letter from the franchise board in California were

Customer Question

got a letter from the franchise board in California were they trying to collect a $1544.00 - 1992.57 with 6,044.33 in interest that i have no idea of this debt.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: plus collection fees of $241.00
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Have no idea were it came frm I was not in the state at that time,.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You need to contact CA FTB as soon as possible and find out. It could be a mistake (somebody reported income using your security number my mistake), fraud (somebody is working illegally using your SS#) or identity theft (somebody filed IRS return with your social security number and claim residency in CA). If the FTB doesn't want to listen to you, contact Taxpayer advocate services.

Do not ignore it because CA FTB can garnish your federal refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though it was back in 1992
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If income was reported to FTB but no return had been filed there's no statute of limitation, they can go back 25 year or more. Once tax is assessed, FTB has 10 years to collect. You need to call them to stop the collection process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happened you collected already $35.00 against your servicews.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the $55.00 about
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

It is not me, it is the website administration. I am just a user like you and don't get paid until you accept my answer. I don't have any control over the billing. I can notify the customer service, they can explain what is it for.