How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3359
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked in Mauritania west Africa years Canadian company on

Customer Question

i worked in Mauritania west Africa for 2 years
for a Canadian company on a gold mine.
The deal was the were going to pay the country's tax and my Australian tax.
When I returned to Australia i was given a tax bill from the accountants.
that the company didn't pay apparently they only paid a percentage of what i was meant to pay.
So I'm in debt to the ATO and they a charging a lot of interest.
Do you know how i can get out of this before they take my house of me and every thing i own.
your help will be greatly appreciated.kind regardsAllanfor a canadian
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you pay tax in Australia on your employment income, such as salary, wages, commissions, bonuses and allowances earned from foreign service – unless it's exempt from Australian tax.

Your foreign employment income is exempt from tax if all of the following applies:

  • you're an Australian resident
  • you're engaged in continuous foreign service as an employee for 91 days or more
  • your foreign service is directly attributable to any of the following
    • delivery of Australian ODA by your employer (except if your employer is anAustralian government agency)
    • activities of your employer in operating a public fund declared by the Treasurer to be a developing country relief fund
    • activities of your employer in operating a public fund established and maintained to provide monetary relief to people in a developing foreign country impacted by a disaster (a public disaster relief fund)
    • activities of your employer as a prescribed charitable or religious institution exempt from Australian income tax because it's located outside Australia, or the institution is pursuing objectives outside Australia
    • deployment outside Australia by an Australian government (or an authority thereof) as a member of a disciplined force
  • you're not excluded from exemption by the non-exemption conditions.

If your foreign service is not directly attributable to these activities, you will need to include the foreign employment income in your tax return as assessable income.

However, you may be entitled to a foreign income tax offset for amounts of foreign tax you have paid to Mauritania, West Africa.

ATO offers payment plans when you have tax liability.

I would urge you to be proactive and contact ATO as soon as possible to resolve this issue and give you peace of mind.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,