How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2997
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am late in pay my NJ state tax and they sent it to a

Customer Question

I am late in pay my NJ state tax and they sent it to a collection agency that wants me to pay them the full amount plus a ten percent fee.. Can't I just pay the tax directly to the state. and how do I do that..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you pay directly NJ DOR. Here's how to do it:

I would call ahead to find out the exact balance because the interest portion is growing. Once the bill is settled, ask NJ DOR for letter or confirmation that your balance is paid in full. It can take several weeks for the collection agency to stop calling or sending you letters.

If the debt already showed up on your credit report, the record will be updated as paid but will not be removed for 10 years.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you still have the original notices from NJ DOR you can use the original payment voucher, just pay what is due. If not, use NJ-1040V (2015) and make a note on the voucher and your check to which year the payment should be applied to.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Paid on line by electronic check.. Just waiting to see it clear then I will call to see if it is fully cleared.

Can I keep the issue open until I get a response or should I close it and then open a new one if needed

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you close it before you accept the answer or the question time out I will not get any credit and will have to open a new question. If you accept I can still keep it opened.