How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3610
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to file online MD form 502CR and 500CR I am not a Md

Customer Question

I need to file online MD form 502CR and 500CR
I am not a Md resident but I can claim a Biotechnology Investment Incentive Tax CreditI can prepare the form manually but that is not allowed. If I get HRBlock software, I have to complete a federal tax return to do the state. I have already filed my Federal and state. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you have already filed your federal return, you will have to complete the federal portion in ANY tax preparation software you choose--i.e., Block, TurboTax, etc.--because the information from the federal "flows through" to the state. You can then pull in the MD forms to claim the credit. Once the MD return is complete, and you proceed to the filing and transmitting section in the software, you will elect to "mail" your federal return and "transmit" your MD nonresident return. You do not want to transmit your federal return because it has already been filed, and it will be rejected by the IRS. A rejection of the federal return will then cause the MD state return to be rejected.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this procedure.

Thank you and best regards,