Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I are separated and not in speaking terms. This would have been our first joint return but in light...

Customer Question
My wife and I are...
My wife and I are separated and not in speaking terms. This would have been our first joint return but in light of the situation that wont happen. Can I file Married Filing Separately for my Fed and CALIFORNIA state returns if I dont have her SSN? What would I enter in the SSN space? Is eFiling a possibility if these fields are left blank?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/29/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You will not be able to e-file your return without her social security number. Your only option is paper file your return. Most softwares will allow you prepare and print your return without the SS#. You will have to write "unknown" in the blank space.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I will do that. Just curious. Is this common or should I anticipate push back for IRS or California?

It is not common but as long as you do your best, ***** ***** CA will not reject your return. Sometimes certain information is just not readily available. You are better off filing a return without social security number than not filing it at all. You can include a short cover letter explaining why you cannot get her social security number.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser