Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm 100% disable, and unable to work. I owe a past Hawaii

Customer Question
state tax debt of $...
I'm 100% disable, and unable to work. I owe a past Hawaii state tax debt of $ 2,300.00 can the state take or garnish my disability benefit from SSI.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/29/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I will assist.

Your SSI disability benefit is exempt from garnishment or other state tax collection. It's why you got your previous levy back. As long as you can prove the amount in your bank account comes from exempt funds, they are exempt.

The state tax collectors can threaten, but they can't legally collect the tax. You could ask them to classify you as uncollectible, so they will take you off their collection list.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback to rate my assistance will be appreciated. I'mCustomer

PDtax
PDtax