Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A business closed November 2005. Payroll tax returns were

Customer Question
A business closed November 2005...
A business closed November 2005. Payroll tax returns were filed thru 3/31/2003. From 3/31/03 thru 11/30/2005 the company had payroll BUT did not file any returns or pay any taxes.
The IRS has prepared returns and assessed taxes due from 06/30/2003 forward. The IRS prepared the returns and assessed the taxes on 2/15/2016. Can the IRS do that? Does the 10 year statute of limitations apply here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/28/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

So sorry, but the statutory clock never starts running until a return is filed or IRS assess a tax.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

...

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Got it, so in 2016 the IRS can go back 13 years and prepare a return?

Yes, they won't normally do that for income taxes, but it's quite common for payroll taxes (Trust Fund recovery Penalty- IRC Section 6672)

So sorry to be the messenger, but yes I've seen them go back as far as 20 when no 941 was ever filed.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986

Hi John,

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help? If so, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more here, let me know.

...

Thank you!

Lane

...

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS