Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Would you have any knowledge on 1099R code 3 and 7? I become

Customer Question
Hi, would you have any...
Hi, would you have any knowledge on 1099R code 3 and 7? I become disabled in 2003 and started receiving disability pension from my employee. Later learned that the employer place code 7 in box 7 instead of code 3. Have I been taxed differently because of the error. If so, please explain how and show me the percentage breakdown. What is code 3 % and what is code 7 percentage? Thanks
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: What accountant are referring to?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/26/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Yes code 3 means that the 10% tax (not regular income tax that occurrs on ALL IRA distributions), but rather the ADDITIONAL 10% penalty tax, is waived.

...

Code 7 would imply that the additional 10% is NOT waived (if it otherwise applies, becasue you are under age 59 and 1/2)

...

If you are OVER age 59 and 1/2 then there is no issue.

...

But if you are not, and those codes have been entered in, say, the software by whomever is doing your taxes... the difference would be 10% of the amount of the distribution, on TOP of the regular tax. (again, IF you are under age 59 and 1/2)

So, again, if you are under age 59 and 1/2, normally (even though IRS distributions are ALWAYS taxed) there is an additional 10% early retirement penalty tax applied.

...

Being permanently disabled waives that 10% penalty for those that are under age 59 and 1/2 AND disabled. The custodian should have been entering 3 as the code, becasue you are disabled.

...

The DIFFERENCE? (for those under age 59 and 1/2 AND disabled) 10% of the amount distributed in extra tax.

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your response. I am satisfied,

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That’s how we’re credited for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS