Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife inherited money in Australia. We need to bring $550k to the USA to make a purchase of a partnership interest.

Customer Question
Is this a taxable event....
My wife inherited money in Australia. We need to bring $550k to the USA to make a purchase of a partnership interest. Is this a taxable event.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/25/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Bringing/wiring money from Australia to the U.S. is not a taxable event.

However, there is a REPORTING requirement by your wife if she is a U.S. citizen for a foreign inheritance. She will use Form 3520 to report the inheritance.

http://kaufmann-cpa.com/FAQ/foreign_inheritance_gifts_faq.html

https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-3520

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent