How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a U.S. citizen employee moves to New Zealand and

Customer Question

If a U.S. citizen employee moves to New Zealand and continues to work for the U.S company from abroad does the company have to register in New Zealand and pay any foreign taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Generally, income will have a New Zealand source if it has a connection with New Zealand. Some examples of incomes with a New Zealand source include:

  • income derived from employment performed in New Zealand even if the employer is a non-resident
  • pensions paid by the New Zealand government
  • dividends paid by New Zealand companies.

If an employee goes to New Zealand to work and they expect to be in New Zealand for less than 183 days, any income they earn from employment during their visit, may not be liable for tax.

If the company is not a New Zealand-based employer the employee would have to pay the tax if they were in New Zealand for longer than the 183 days working.

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded