How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3126
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about what i believe would be called

Customer Question

I have a question about what i believe would be called capitol gains. I had 4 shares of company stock, 2 of which were just sold to cover taxes, It was approx 2900 tax comp. 1435 total tax amount... if I were to sell my other 2 shars,i how much should I expect to pay on it in taxes next year? I live in pa.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy help you.

It depends on holding period (long term or short term) and your tax bracket. Short term gains are taxed as ordinary income, same tax rate as your other income based on your tax bracket.

Long term capital gains get special treatment.

In 10 - 15% tax bracket - 0% capital gains rate

in 25 - 35% tax bracket - 15% capital gains rate

in 39,6% tax bracket - 20% capital gains rate

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions? You can determine your tax bracket using an online calculator like this one:

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.