How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4478
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a care giver to my adult son in our shared residence in

Customer Question

I am a care giver to my adult son in our shared residence in Washington State. I received a check for being part of a class action lawsuit (IRS Notice 2014-7). The W-2 for this check includes deductions for Federal income tax, social security & Medicare tax. I figured out how to document the reversal of the Federal income tax deduction in QuickBooks. What I need is a IRS reference to justify refunding social security & Medicare taxes on my 2015 tax return. I am authorized this refund because Washington State has never deducted the taxes from my paycheck because I am a, in their words, "a qualified relative provider".
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Since your income is exempt from tax under IRC 131, you should be able to claim that the withholding is refundable as overpayment.

Form 1040, line 73, is the line on the form for overpayment withholdings such as these. You can claim the withholdings as additional taxes withheld, and request a refund when your return is processed.

i would attach an explanation, along with a cite to the Notice and proof that your payment indeed qualifies for the treatment. IRS should process the overpayment and refund in the normal course of business.

From the 1040 instructions for line 73:

"If you made a tax payment that
doesn't belong on any other line, include
the payment on line 73. Check box d
and enter “Tax” in the space next to that

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my assistance when I have answered your question. I'mCustomer

Related Tax Questions