Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a care giver to my adult son in our shared residence in

Customer Question
Washington State. I received a...
I am a care giver to my adult son in our shared residence in Washington State. I received a check for being part of a class action lawsuit (IRS Notice 2014-7). The W-2 for this check includes deductions for Federal income tax, social security & Medicare tax. I figured out how to document the reversal of the Federal income tax deduction in QuickBooks. What I need is a IRS reference to justify refunding social security & Medicare taxes on my 2015 tax return. I am authorized this refund because Washington State has never deducted the taxes from my paycheck because I am a, in their words, "a qualified relative provider".
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/20/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Since your income is exempt from tax under IRC 131, you should be able to claim that the withholding is refundable as overpayment.

Form 1040, line 73, is the line on the form for overpayment withholdings such as these. You can claim the withholdings as additional taxes withheld, and request a refund when your return is processed.

i would attach an explanation, along with a cite to the Notice and proof that your payment indeed qualifies for the treatment. IRS should process the overpayment and refund in the normal course of business.

From the 1040 instructions for line 73:

"If you made a tax payment that
doesn't belong on any other line, include
the payment on line 73. Check box d
and enter “Tax” in the space next to that
box."

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my assistance when I have answered your question. I'mCustomer

PDtax
PDtax