How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How many years back can I amend. I know is 3 but would it

Customer Question

How many years back can I amend. I know is 3 but would it have 3 to 04/15/2016? Can I still amend 2013? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

There is no time limit to amend past tax returns...

Legally ANY prior tax return may be amended.

HOWEVER - if because 0f that amendment you are due a refund - there is a statute if limitation - and refund will NOT be issued after three years.

For instance - if your 2012 tax return was timely filed - the statute of limitation started on Apr 15, 2013 (when return was due) and run out of Apr 15, 2016 (three years later). Thus if you will amend your 2012 tax return and will claim additional refund - that refund will NOT be issued.

But you still may claim an additional refund for 2013 tax year.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!!!
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.