Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How many years back can I amend. I know is 3 but would it

Customer Question
have 3 to 04/15/2016? Can...
How many years back can I amend. I know is 3 but would it have 3 to 04/15/2016? Can I still amend 2013? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/19/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There is no time limit to amend past tax returns...

Legally ANY prior tax return may be amended.

HOWEVER - if because 0f that amendment you are due a refund - there is a statute if limitation - and refund will NOT be issued after three years.

For instance - if your 2012 tax return was timely filed - the statute of limitation started on Apr 15, 2013 (when return was due) and run out of Apr 15, 2016 (three years later). Thus if you will amend your 2012 tax return and will claim additional refund - that refund will NOT be issued.

But you still may claim an additional refund for 2013 tax year.

Does that answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you!!!

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor