Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I want to consider doing a 1031 exchange, a rental property

Customer Question
with another rental property. If I...
I want to consider doing a 1031 exchange, a rental property with another rental property.
If I spend less than what goes into the escrow from the sale of the old to buy the new rental what would be my tax consequence?
How would I best estimate how much income tax I have to pay on the difference I keep, which I plan on using to upgrade my primary home. So if I have to pay tax on the difference I want to make to I set aside enough to pay the taxes before I spend on improving my primary home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/17/2016
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you

Capital Gains are capped at 20 % for 2016, although you may qualify to pay less, depending on the kind and $ amount of your other income.

Please see below for more in depth information:

http://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2015/12/14/long-term-capital-gains-tax-rates-in-2016.aspx

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars

It is ONLY through positive feedback that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer