How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rakhi.v Your Own Question
rakhi.v, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4545
Experience:  Have graduated in Law with specialization & emphasis in Financial Laws and has working experience of over a decade.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
rakhi.v is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a t4rsp from my dead husband which was

Customer Question

I received a t4rsp from my dead husband which was transferred as my RRSP. I know I claim this amount on line 129 this makes it look like I had a Hugh income. Where can I or what line can I off set this to bring my total income down. There must be a line I can put this amount as a deduction.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  rakhi.v replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Once you receive T4RSP Slip, the transferred amount will be shown in box 18 of the slip. This amount has to be reported on line 129 of the spouse's or common-law partner's income tax and benefit return for the year the transfer was made. The spouse or common-law partner will receive a receipt for the amount that was transferred.

Now coming to the issue of claiming deduction. There is no line you on which you can claim a transfer. However, once your put this amount on line 129, you will have to claim deduction as well. You can claim it by transferring it to an RRSP, PRPP, SPP or RRIF or buy an eligible Annuity. Please refer the below link.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,