How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend completed a construction job in malaysia and

Customer Question

my boyfriend completed a construction job in malaysia and has a bank acct there, he tells me he is being assessed a tax lein for $20,000 state the government has frozen his account. how is he suppose to pay tax code if he can not access accout?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question -- My name is ***** ***** I would love to help you today.

The part of my job that I don't always like is telling people something that they don't want to hear. In this situation, you are being taken for a ride. It's a very, very common romance fraud scheme -- you meet, presumably online, and are dying to meet each other. You start making plans, and then things start coming up - this tax lien is a prime and very common example of the things they will claim.

The truth is that if there was a tax lien, the government would simply take the funds to pay it - however, this is not even the case. It's a lie, constructed to get you to send him the money. Then, one of two things will happen - he will disappear, or he will continue the "relationship" and have emergency after emergency until you are bled dry or cut it off yourself. Even then, they may try to extort more money from you via threats.

If you have sent this person money, contact and make a complaint and speak with local law enforcement. Honestly you won't likely get your money back but you will play a pivotal part in helping someone avoid the same fate.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.