Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Does this cot have to be paid prior to transaction? : I have

Customer Question
Does this cot have to...
Does this cot have to be paid prior to transaction?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a large sum of money in a Malasha bank and they are demanding a huge amount up front to get some of this money.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/13/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can you provide a bit more information...
Who exactly demanding a huge amount upfront and how you get that amount in a foreign bank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hong-leong bank
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It cost me over 2 thousand dollars to set the savings account up.

I am afraid that is a scam...
I would be always skeptical if the money are requested upfront in ADDITIONAL to the money that are said in your account.
I would question - if there ANY money in that account.

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

See here

http://www.419scam.org/emails/2013-11/26/00532697.12.htm

and scroll down for the fraud email example from the Hong Leong Bank ...

Do NOT send them any money - the chances are - you will never see these money again...

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor