How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm selling a house deeded to my sister and I by my mother

Customer Question

I'm selling a house deeded to my sister and I by my mother before she past. They said I needed to withhold an estimated capital gains for the state of New York and I don't know what they would be. I live in New Hampshire.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I'm 63 and the approx household income is 120,000
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

First you need to determine how much of capital gains you will be reporting. To calculate your capital gains you will need to determine your basis. Because you got the house before your mother passed away, it will be treated as gift and you will need to use your mother's basis + expenses of sale divided by 2. Her basis will be the purchase price plus improvements (paid by her and you).

Once you determine your basis, than you can calculate your capital gains.

1/2 of the sales price

- 1/2 of the basis

- 1/2 of the sales expenses

= capital gains

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions so far? You may need to do some research to determine your basis but that's the only way to reduce your capital gains.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here are NY state tax brackets. Once you determine your capital gains, you can use the table to determine your tax percentage based on your filing status and NY state income (in your case only the capital gains).

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?