Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I got scammed by STOPIRSDEBT. I paid $4000 to a tax "analyst" to help me with the IRS Audit I was in and they took...

Customer Question
I got scammed by STOPIRSDEBT JA...
I got scammed by STOPIRSDEBT
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I paid $4000 to a tax "analyst" to help me with the IRS Audit I was in and they took the money and never filed my taxes or negotiated my balance with the IRS
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i dont know\
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/10/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, many tax resolution companies are scams. They charge huge fees and then do not do what they promise.

Report problems to the IRS on Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer. The IRS Return Preparer Office will process the complaint and, if appropriate, submit it to the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility for investigation.

Behavior warranting a complaint to the IRS includes companies or individuals that:

• promise that you will get relief from tax liabilities;
  • misrepresent how long it will take to process a debt relief request application; or
  • omit relevant asset information on financial statements submitted to the IRS.

You also may file a complaint with the FTC online or by phone: call 1-877-FTC-HELP. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0137-tax-relief-companies

My best advice is to contact a CPA or Enrolled Agent in your area who can assist you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent