How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15718
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I had money in an annuity and withdrew it after the 7

Customer Question

If I had money in an annuity and withdrew it after the 7 years, but prior to being 59 1/ can I avoid the tax penalty? Can I take the money I made in interest and put it into a ROTH IRA to avoid the tax? I am disabled, so I am not sure if I can avoid all the taxes. The money I put in the annuity was from a life insurance policy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The penalty would be avoided if you can meet an exception. When you make a withdrawal from an annuity, the IRS assumes that earnings are withdrawn first. The 10 percent penalty applies to the earnings portion of a withdrawal.

One exception is for medical bills. The amount of unreimbursed medical expenses (>7.5% AGI; , 10% if under age 65) can mean no 10% penalty at least on that portion of the earnings withdrawn.

You cannot move it to a ROTH to avoid tax unfortunately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do not charge my account the $33.00. I see the charge is already pending! The site said I would have a chance to approve it. I did not approve it. This is just another scam!!!