Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in California and moving to Nevada this August to

Customer Question
retire , I have a...
I live in California and moving to Nevada this August to retire , I have a 409a that I can only take in a lump sum ( deferred compensation ) that I originally thought I would take in 2017 Jan. Can I take the 409a money in August when I retire and not pay any state income tax on it since I'll be living in Nevada ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/7/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If you are a non resident of CA when the distribution is made to you, CA will not be entitled to tax it.

Part-year residents of California are taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident. Even though this 409a was from a time that you were in CA and deferred from tax, the distribution is not taxed if you are not a resident.

You would need to sever all ties with CA and set your residency in Nevada prior to getting the 409a.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4