How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California and moving to Nevada this August to

Customer Question

I live in California and moving to Nevada this August to retire , I have a 409a that I can only take in a lump sum ( deferred compensation ) that I originally thought I would take in 2017 Jan. Can I take the 409a money in August when I retire and not pay any state income tax on it since I'll be living in Nevada ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you are a non resident of CA when the distribution is made to you, CA will not be entitled to tax it.

Part-year residents of California are taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident. Even though this 409a was from a time that you were in CA and deferred from tax, the distribution is not taxed if you are not a resident.

You would need to sever all ties with CA and set your residency in Nevada prior to getting the 409a.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.