How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid a tax prepare to look at and amend my taxes last 3

Customer Question

I paid a tax prepare to look at and amend my taxes for the last 3 years. She did so and charged me a fee for each amended tax return. I received a qustion packet from the IRS for all 3 and I cant get her to respond to my calls, text or emails. Is there any legal action I can exercise to a minimum get y 300.00 back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unless the fee includes more than just return preparation, than no. Unless you can proof that there's something wrong with the returns she doesn't have any legal obligations to return your fees. Receiving a request for additional information doesn't mean that the return is wrong. It is not uncommon that the IRS request additional information before accepting your amended return, expecially if the change includes certain credits, filing status or claiming more dependents.

It is also possible that her office is seasonal (Jan - Apr) and she is simply not at the office every day.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Unlike lawyers or some accountants, most preparers will help you with follow up questions or paperwork for IRS without charging you additional fees, as long as you are not threatening him/her with legal action.

If you believe, that she prepared an incorrect return, I would first talk to the office manager or supervisor, find out about return policy. But most prepares will not refund your fees just because the IRS is requesting supporting documents.

Sorry, if you hopped otherwise.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?