How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In preparing client's tax examination of s tax return

Customer Question

in preparing for a client's tax examination of his tax return prepared by another tax preparer it has come to light that the client underestimated his Sch C gross receipts by about $ 175,000. Should I walk away from this examination or inform the client to amend the tax return and let the IRS agent know that we are going to amend it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You should advise the person that an amended return is needed. I would also require hard paper from them before entering anything on the amendment should you decide to continue.

In a case like that I generally advise the taxpayer to get the original preparer to amend but sometimes that is not possible.

I cannot tell you to walk away or continue.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.