How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a notice of collection from the nc dept of revenue :

Customer Question

hi pearl. i got a notice of collection from the nc dept of revenue
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: just need to know how much time if any i may have before they act to levy or get a lien or seize bank accounts.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: just got the notice dated june 2nd 2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If this is initial notice, you have between 30 - 60 days to respond. After that you will usually receive another notice demanding payment. Unless you owe obscene sum, state departments state tax department will not levy your property. It is too expensive and often not worth the the court fees. The same apply to bank accounts and wages. They may put a lien on your property, take your federal refund and give your case to a location agency. But it usually takes several years until state tax department give up and give your case to collection agency.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

State departments don't have the same rights as IRS. While IRS doesn't need a court order to garnish your wages or social security check, states do need court order and they cannot take your social security check.

There are other options. Find out what's the problem, maybe you can fix it with a supporting documents or amending your return. You can request installment agreement if you cannot pay right away. If you disagree with the notice, call the tax department and explain why you disagree.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?