How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family lives in California and I work in Philadelphia. I

Customer Question

My family lives in California and I work in Philadelphia. I also have an apartment in Philly. I pay city wage tax in Philly. What is the recommendation on what I state I should claim as my primary residence??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your primary residence is where you establish your domicile. It is where you are registered to vote, where you register your vehicle, purchase a resident, relocate your family, get that state's driver's license or register your children for school.

Your residence for tax purposes is where you work. You can have primary residence in CA and be resident of PA for tax purposes. If you work in PA but your family is in CA and you are CA resident, you will file CA resident return and PA nonresident return.

PA is more tax friendly unless you live in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh where you have to pay city taxes. On the other hand you will have to convince CA FTB that you change your residency and left CA and establish residency in other state.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?