How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am ring a caregiver (she does not work company and is

Customer Question

I am hiring a caregiver (she does not work for a company and is doing this on her own) to come to help with my elderly parents. Run errands, clean, cook, ect. I am going to pay her weekly. Do I need to take taxes and social security out of her check each week and then issue her a W2 at the end of the year or is she considered a non employee and I would not withdraw any taxes but issue her a 1099-misc at the end of the year?
Thanks you.
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If the caregiver is self employed and offers her services to the public then you are not required to withhold taxes or pay employer taxes. Household workers are your employees if you can control not only the work they do but also how they do it. If this is an individual that does not and would ordinarily not offer her services to the public then she is a household employee. You follow the withholding based on wages paid. You will also need to complete Schedule H when you file your return.

A W2 would be issued.

You do not issue a 1099MISC because you are not paying her for services rendered to a business. This is a personal expense and a 1099MISC is not issued.

How much you direct her work and whether or not she does this as a regular service would determine if she is an employee or not.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded