Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work in Connecticut live in mass. I owe both states hundreds of thousands of dollars in back state taxes.

Customer Question
hi I work in Connecticut...
hi I work in Connecticut live in mass. I owe both states hundreds of thousands of dollars in back state taxes. if I move out of mass.and stop working in Connecticut.and set up residence and a new job in a state other than either one of the states I owe money to.do I still have to pay?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: it is all due to gambling income .even though the end of the year was a loss they say owe on each individual jacpot.so its being taxed on money that I didn't take home.for instance the irs lets you write down your winnings by the amount you've lost. in mass they say you have to pay tax regardless if you lost it all back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/2/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your tax debt will not go away...

What you need to do

- file your tax return

- report all your gambling winnings

- deduct your gambling losses - you need to use schedule A - deduction is limited by the amount you won.

- most likely - your tax liability will be much less than state taxing authorities determined - it is very likely - they do not care about your deductions.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ive reported everything and the losses.and now they want to garnish my wages for everything except 125 a week.so if I set up residence in a third state work in that third state get my drivers license in that third state have nothing to do with the other 2 states they can still garnish my wages that I make in the third state

You may not move to a different state and avoid the tax debt - ever they might not immediately start garnishment - your tax debt will not go away.

You would need to negotiate with taxing authorities and set the payment plan.

.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor