How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29951
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 60 years old and was forced into retirement. Can I take

Customer Question

I'm 60 years old and was forced into retirement. Can I take money from my IRA and deposit it into an HSA this year without declaring it as income if I deposit more than $4350 and pay the required 6% penalty?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please be aware that funds in your IRA account are YOURS.

You may take them out when you need to wish.

Generally distribution will be taxable unless you made nondeductible distributions - that part distributed tax free.


Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may rollover funds to a different tax deferred account - but may NOT rollover to HSA.

That will be reported as taxable distribution.

Separately - you might be eligible to DEDUCT HSA contributions.

But there are certain requirements and limitations.

If you over-contribute - that amount is NOT deductible and will be subject to additional 6% penalty.


.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.