Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in San Diego County (CA) and would like to install 3

Customer Question
energy efficiencies into my home...
I live in San Diego County (CA) and would like to install 3 energy efficiencies into my home: 1) a 7KW Solar system, 2) Cool White GenFlex EZ TPO (Energy Star certified and Title 24 "Cool Roof" Rated) and 3) MiniSplit heat pump/AC system(s) for hom which are AHRI Certified (are also Energy Star certified and meet Tax Credit requirements of SEER >=15 and HSPF >8.5).
San Diego has a HERO/PACE loan program where energy efficient items can be financed and placed on property tax bill.
My questions relate to how most favorably treat tax wise...
Can full amount of HERO loan (if all financed with HERO) be used from Property tax bill as a tax deduction like property taxes or must it be limited to interest only? Contractors and others justify full amount vs. interest only but is there anything to back this up?
Can Solar and Title 24 Cool Roof be combined and total placed on Fed 5695 with 30% tax credit? Again, some justify cool roof as more than just a structure for solar and refer to Section 25D(e)(2) among others for support.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
6/3/2016
Tax Professional: rakhi.v, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
rakhi.v
rakhi.v, Tax Attorney

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

To begin with, all of the equipment that you mention do qualify. However, you will be able to deduct only the interest part of it. The main reason being -- what you are doing is defined as "Improvements" and not "Repairs".

According to page 151 of IRS Publication No. 17, the principal portion of the payment is deductible for repairs, but not for improvements. To determine whether a specific HERO program assessment is entirely tax deductible or not, we recommend contacting a tax professional. Please refer the Publication No. 17 from the below link.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Just as an additional information, assuming the HERO program is available in your area, homeowners must have at least 10% equity in their home, must be current on mortgage and property tax payments, must not have any outstanding involuntary liens, and must not have declared bankruptcy in the past 7 years in order to qualify.

The following are very informative FAQs, just in case if you need.

https://www.heroprogram.com/faq

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

rakhi.v
rakhi.v
rakhi.v, Tax Attorney