Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How (years) does the IRS keep my returns?...

Customer Question
How long (years) does the...
How long (years) does the IRS keep my returns?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The IRS generally can make available a tax return for the current year and past six years.

The IRS has a limitation of how long they have to reassess a return (3 years if a return is filed 6 if income of 25% was omitted) so keeping all returns past the 6 years would be cumbersome.

The Social Security Administration keeps records about income from the 1978.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4