How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11804
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have approximately $13000 in negative gearing on my

Customer Question

If I have approximately $13000 in negative gearing on my investment property and I earn approximately $90000 from my employer, how do I declare my income to Centrelink who ask for my income and my NET investment losses?
If I declare $90000 to Centrelink, I still receive approx $180/fn in FTB...if I then declare $13000 investment losses (which isn't the net amount) that makes my income $103000 which causes me to lose my $180 FTB. OR do I deduct $13000 from my income of $90000, making my income $77000, and still declare $13000 net investment losses, which would leave me in the same position for c'link purposes, ie a taxable income of $90000?
Of course the $13000 is an estimate of the gross investment losses, not the net losses so I understand this figure will change.
Just not sure how I go around providing c'link with the appropriate figures, in the hope that I can still receive some FTB.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK, still don't see you coming back in. I'll assume that you do indeed have a certificate (For Holders of Qualified Mortgage Credit Certificates Issued by State or Local Governmental Units or Agencies) .


Yes, if you work through the form and end up with line 9 (Current year mortgage interest credit) that's less than line 3 on the form ( a positive number) you apply this to 2016