Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If a person receives a cash gift of $15,000 or more is there

Customer Question
a special Federal reporting requirement...
If a person receives a cash gift of $15,000 or more is there a special Federal reporting requirement and payment of tax ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/31/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The receiver does not pay tax on a gift. The only reporting requirement by the receiver would be if they receive a gift from a non US person that is $100,000 or more. If that happened then the receiver (if a US person) would use form 3520 but still no tax to pay for the receiver.

The giver if a US person would have to report any gift to one person if $14000 or more. That is done using form 709.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Checking to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4