How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15600
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was audited by IRS and they found that I owe ,2013 on my

Customer Question

I was audited by IRS and they found that I owe for 2012,2013 on my personal tax return. i requested a payment plan and auditing officer told me NO, he told me to get a loan from bank, credit cards or borrow money to pay them off. Can they do that? I read that IRS allows a 84 month payment plan which is plenty of time for me to pay off the debt. What reason can they have for denying me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The maximum term for a streamlined agreement is 72 months. Longer time can be allowed if approved.

The reason for the denial can be any of a number of things including a request to consolidate installment agreements or a request for a term that doesn't liquidate the debt before the collection statute of limitations expires.

You may be eligible to apply for an online payment agreement

Individuals must owe $50,000 or less in combined individual income tax, penalties and interest, and have filed all required returns.

If you meet these requirements, you can apply for an online payment agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to do it online and system gave a message that file is with a field rep and he doesn't want to give me a payment plan. 72 months would be sufficient as well. Can he deny the payment plan and for what reasons. Can he ask to see all financial records ?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Your request for an installment agreement can be denied if all required tax returns have not been filed.

You would be asked to complete a financial statement using Form 433 to report income and living expenses. The IRS will review and verify the information. If you have assets that can be sold to pay some of the tax debt, the IRS will require you provide additional information.

I have not ever had an Installment request denied for a client. Did the agent give you any reason why? Did your audit go badly (they thought you were not cooperative)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No , at least I don't think that it went bad. The agent did not give me a reason for denial, is there was to get a different agent. I do not feel like filling out 433. I feel that payment plan should be made available to me

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The 433 shows your situation better and if the IRS requests it then you are required to complete it.

You can request to speak with the supervisor or collection manager but they will most likely request the 433 too unless your amount due is less than $10,000.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.