Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is paying someone's pharmacy bill (Mepilex medical wound

Customer Question
padding) exempt from the gift...
Is paying someone's pharmacy bill (Mepilex medical wound padding) exempt from the gift tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2016
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning David. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You really have no concerns about any gift tax. Recipients of gifts are not subject to gift tax. And, there should also be no gift tax due from the donor. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, for any amounts in excess of the $14,000 in a year, each person has a $5,450,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,450,000 in gifts over and above the $14,000 annual gift exclusion amount without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative additional gifts have exceeded the $5,450,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney