Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I claim my non resident alien stepchildren on my

Customer Question
taxes. I'm the sole surviving...
How can I claim my non resident alien stepchildren on my taxes. I'm the sole surviving parent. And how can I be sure that my credit card info will be used only for this tax question.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/26/2016
Tax Professional: Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

Are you a US resident or citizen? Do your stepchildren live with you in the states? If so, and assuming they live with you more than 6 months of the year, you can definitely claim them as dependents. You will need to apply for ITIN numbers (if they do not have them) for each child by filing form W-7 with the IRS for each kid. Then you can claim the nonresident alien children as dependents just like you would claim kids that are natural born citizens. If the kids are living somewhere else and you are providing their support, there are some other issues that will determine if you can claim them as dependents.

As far as the credit card goes, our billing is secure and the information and credit card number will only be used as you have consented. If you have any questions, you can contact customer support (I have no access to your account information with Pearl/JustAnswer) through the "contact us" link at the bottom of the main web page.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between 3 and 5 stars so that I receive credit for working with you today. Thanks for your business.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your prompt reply the. Dependants live in the Philippines. Never visited the United States. No present plans to immigrate. Is it possible to claim as tax Dependants I'm sole surviving parent, biological deseased father 2011 mother 2000… have supported children since my marriage to father in 2009. Father deseased 2011… is there a way. To receive tax benefit, without adoption process
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I applied for It in numbers in2011. Received Itin# ***** 2012. Lost the numbers for deseased father and 3 Dependants when I went to IRS to retrieve them the IRS denied any record of ITin# or ss# ***** being issued. So my claim for 2011 taxes were denied, I have yet to file the 2012- 2015 taxes because I am at a stand still over what happened to my tax numbers for deseased spouse and my 3 Dependant children

Okay.

Unfortunately, the US only has exceptions for claiming foreign dependents if they are residents of the Canada or Mexico. The only way you can claim them is to have them move to the States with you.

Sorry about the bad news.

Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent