How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get back a double payment of Federal tax? Chandler

Customer Question

How do I get back a double payment of Federal tax?
***** *****dler
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you overpaid income taxes - you would need to file your tax return - report overpayment - and claim a refund - that is a standard procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The form has been filed, now where do I go to request a refund? Will it automatically be sent to me once they realized the double payment?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Assuming you filed form 1040 as your tax return.
On that form - the amount you overpaid is reported on line 75
and on line 76a you request the amount to be refunded.
Let me know if that is not correct.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If that is correct - and your tax return was accepted - you will receive a refund.
If that is an issue - you may verify the status of your refund on following page

Let me know if you need any further help,

Related Tax Questions