Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Do you have a sample filled out form 8936 as it would appear

Customer Question

do you have a sample filled out form 8936 as it would appear with a s-corporation?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I've looked high and low and cannot find an example, so I'll opt out after providing this. Understanding the function of the three parts of the form sometimes helps

...

Part I calculates your tentative credit amount, which, typically, the manufacturer will have provided with its certification.

...

If the vehicle satisfies the at least the minimum requirements, the credit starts at $2,500.

...

Then, if the vehicle has at least a 5 kilowatt-hours of capacity, you increase the credit by $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt-hour of capacity your vehicle has in excess of 5 up to a maximum of $7,500.

...

Then, after calculating your tentative credit in the first part of Form 8936,part I ...

..

the remaining two parts allocate the credit between your business in Part II

...

and personal use of the vehicle in Part III.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me I have Form 8936 that reflects a full 7,500 credit, 80% for business and 20% for personal. How do I report this on a Form 1120-s?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I know that it goes on schedule K and then gets apportioned to shareholders via ownership% and goes to K-1 ... let me see if I can find an example

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

My bet is that it's line 13g ... (for the business use piece) but I'll be honest ... I haven't done an 1120S that used the credit ... but from looking at the instructions, that has to be it

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Yep in the 1120S instructions we see this:

...

Schedule K­1. Enter in box 13 of Schedule K-1 each shareholder's pro rata share of the credits listed above.

...

and one of the MANY credits listed above is"Qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit (Form 8936)"

...

and ALL of those credits (running from page p32 to p33) are listed as "line 13g other credits."

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Then if you'll look at the instructions for the 8936 instructions, page 2, you'll see:

...

Line 13

Enter total qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credits from: Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), Partner's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc., box 15 (code P); and Schedule K-1 (Form 1120S), Shareholder's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc., box 13 (code P). Partnerships and S corporations must always report the above credits on line 13.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Did that help?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane