How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work worldwide outsourcing company that provides

Customer Question

I work for a worldwide outsourcing company that provides engineering support for Company "XYZ". I live 95 miles from my office located at Company "XYZ" and travel only to and from my office on a daily basis using my personal car. I do not have an expense account or company car. There is no reimbursement from either company. Is this mileage an allowable tax deduction or is this considered "commuting"?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Travel to and from your home to your office is commuting and commuting miles are not deductible.

This illustration depicts the rules used to determine if transportation expenses are deductible.

Between home and regular or main job, Never deductible.

Between home and temporary work location, Deductible if you have a regular or main job at another location.

Between home and second job, Never deductible on a day off from regular or main job.

Between regular or main job and temporary work location, Always deductible.

Between regular or main job and second job, Always deductible.

Between temporary work location and second job, Always deductible.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded

Related Tax Questions