Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If filed extension 2012 taxes and paid 2000 and 700 . long

Customer Question
If filed for an extension...
If filed for an extension for my 2012 taxes and paid 2000 for federal and 700 for state. long story short. I owe much less. I never filed that years taxes and I actually made almost no money. Is there any way I can now file and claim that refund now. I know that there is a 3 year deadline, but I did file for an extension.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/24/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Statute of limitation for a refund is 3 years after return had been filed or 2 years after payment had been made, whichever comes later. If not return had been file, statute of limitation expires 2 years after payment had been made. If you didn't file the return, your statute of limitation expired last year.
Claim for credit or refund of an overpayment of any tax imposed by this title in respect of which tax the taxpayer is required to file a return shall be filed by the taxpayer within 3 years from the time the return was filed or 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever of such periods expires the later, or if no return was filed by the taxpayer, within 2 years from the time the tax was paid. Claim for credit or refund of an overpayment of any tax imposed by this title which is required to be paid by means of a stamp shall be filed by the taxpayer within 3 years from the time the tax was paid.... source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6511
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that doesnt seem right. I have a letter from the irs from june 22 2015 saying I have a 2000 dollar credit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry I didnt read that last part. so i have 3 years from when it was paid. so if i filed for an extention and then overpaid taxes and didnt file, I have 3 years from when the payment was made?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I paid this 2000 dollars in a lump sum. I believe after april 15 2013. So do I have 3 years from the payment?
you had a credit because you didn't file a return. It is 3 years from filing a return or 2 years from the time a payment had been made.
Any questions? Why did you make the estimated payments at the first place if you didn't have much income?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
quot;Claim for credit or refund of an overpayment of any tax imposed by this title which is required to be paid by means of a stamp shall be filed by the taxpayer within 3 years from the time the tax was paid."
Im not sure i understand. Does this not mean that if I paid money in july of 2013 for a 2012 tax year that I did not owe money, I have untill july of 2016 to claim it?
Income tax is NOT required to be paid by a stamp and you didn't pay it by purchasing a tax stamp. You had 2 years, not 3.
you can claim a refund within 3 years from the time the return was filed or 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever of such periods expires the later, or if no return was filed by the taxpayer, within 2 years from the time the tax was paid....
If you made a payment in July 2013 you had until July 2015 to claim the refund by filing a return.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney