How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a French citizen residing in the US and consequently

Customer Question

I am a French citizen residing in the US and consequently paying my taxes to the US IRS. The pensions I receive from France however are to be paid in France and are not taxable at the US federal level. States handle this differently and I want to know how is it for the State I live in which is Maryland. Thank you for your answer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe starting point of your Maryland return is the federal adjusted gross income. If your federal return does not include the income then your Maryland return would not either and you would not have to add that back into your Maryland income.Even when calculating the MD pension exclusion you only use your net taxable pension and retirement annuity included in your federal adjusted gross income.