Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am currently on California State disability insurance. My

Customer Question
mother passed away and now...
I am currently on California State disability insurance. My mother passed away and now I am getting a separate pension through Delta Airlines as part of a settlement of my father's airline crash. I want to know if I have to go off the state disability since I i'm getting my father's pension of $2662 a month .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Your additional pension income will NOT affect your State disability insurance benefits - as long as these are NOT benefits based on your needs.If that are State disability insurance benefits based on your work - these are not affected as long as you are disabled.
State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers. It provides short-term Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) wage replacement benefits to eligible workers who need time off work. You may be eligible for DI if you are unable to work due to non-work-related illness or injury, pregnancy, or childbirth. You may be eligible for PFL to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child.Some additional information about ineligibility - see herehttp://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/State_Disability_Insurance_(SDI)_Eligibility.htm#DIIneligibilityIneligibility for DI BenefitsYou are not suffering a loss of wages.You are claiming or receiving Unemployment Insurance (UI) or PFL benefits.You became disabled while committing a crime resulting in a felony conviction.You are in jail, prison, recovery home, or any other place because you were convicted of a crime.You are receiving workers’ compensation benefits at a weekly rate equal to or greater than the DI rate.You fail to have an independent medical examination when requested to do so.Ineligibility for PFL BenefitsYou are not suffering a loss of wages.You are claiming or receiving UI or DI benefits.You are receiving workers’ compensation benefits at a weekly rate equal to or greater than the PFL rate.Let me know if you need any help.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor