Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm working under an OPT and don't know how to fill my w4

Customer Question
I'm working under an OPT and...
I'm working
under an OPT and don't know how to fill my w4 form
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm working under OPT, I'm married with 1 son, none of them working, both my dependents. How should I fill my W4 in order to not have the social security and medicare taxes witheld from me, since I am exempt?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/20/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.If you are OPT or non-resident alien you need to follow special instructions to complete your W4. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1392.pdf Here's what you need to pay attention to: ***** ***** are required to enter a social security number (SSN) on line 2 of Form W-4. If you do not have an SSN, you must apply for one on Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. You can get Form SS-5 at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ ss5.htm or from any Social Security Administration (SSA) office. Note. You cannot enter an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on line 2 of Form W-4. Line 3.Check the single box regardless of your actual marital status.Line 5.Generally, you should claim one withholding allowance. However, if you are a resident of Canada, Mexico, or South Korea, a student or business apprentice from India, or a U.S. national, you may be able to claim additional withholding allowances for your spouse and children. See Publication 519 for more information. If you are completing Form W-4 for more than one withholding agent (for example, you have more than one employer), figure the total number of allowances you are entitled to claim and claim no more than that amount on all Forms W-4 combined. Your withholding usually will be most accurate when all allowances are claimed on the Form W-4 for the highest-paying job and zero allowances are claimed on the others.Line 6.Write “nonresident alien” or “NRA” on the dotted line. If you would like to have an additional amount withheld, enter the amount on line 6.Line 7.Do not claim that you are exempt from withholding on line 7 of Form W-4 (even if you meet both of the conditions listed on that line)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. This does not answer my question. I had already found these recomendations. But those are general recomendations. In other words, they do not differ if I'm under a F-1 OPT visa (which is my case - exempt to pay medicare and social security taxes) for somebody that is under an H1-B visa, who has to pay those taxes.
My question is how do I fill the W4 form in order to not have the medicare and social security taxes whitheld from my paycheck (how do I fill the W4 to receive them monthly, instead of having them withheld and having to file for a refund after the end of the fiscal year). Tks.
Most of the H1B visa holders are NOT nonresident aliens. As nonresident alien for tax purposes you have to follow those instructions. The OPT election is not made on W4. W4 has nothing to do with social security or medicare tax. W4 is for federal income tax withholding.
You will need to confirm with the payroll administrator to make sure your paycheck is coded correctly so no social security or Medicare taxes are withheld.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney