How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12059
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did some chores at a home. She refused to hire me through

Customer Question

I did some chores at a home. She refused to hire me through carelinx or become a household employer. I did't get a w2 and she doing things like she is going to report me so I stay on after she is abusing me in differet fashions. I am o social security disability with mental illness and it's horrible. I got severely sick over the stress. She employ's two illegal aliens as she says and pays them cash. I told her I want to pay taxes but she says carelinx is a racket when all it is her becoming a household employer. Please advise. who do I call at IRS to report this? I had her pay money to my church, giftcards and help pay my rent.
My doctor thinks that okay if gifting me. Is it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...SO sorry to hear of your troubles ... But your doctor misunderstands that when you are doing something in exchange for these dollars this IS NOT a gift....SHe is, at the very least, not in compliance for not sending a 1099-MISC (you might ask if she would do this - it's much simpler than treating you as a household employee....What you should consider doing is reporting the income yourself (regardless of her not being compliant with her responsibilities)....You can do this by using a Schedule C with your tax return....The is one consideration, however. If you file as a single filer, the standard deduction is 6300 (everybody gets that) and then there is also a personal exemption of 4050 (ever person gets that as well)...So if the amount you make in a tax year is less than (6300 + 4050) = 10350 ... then you don't need to file anyway, because at that level of income you would be under the "filing threshhold."...Please let me know what questions you have from here
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
By the way, if you ARE above that number, you can still simply file on your own ... without her providing her required 1099 or W-2...BUT, if you want, you can call IRS 1-***-***-**** hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday, and ask the person to file a 1099 complaint because she will not send you the 1099 to prepare your taxes.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the smile or stars on +your screen, and then clicking “submit”)…I receive no crediting at all unless you rate in this way....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986