Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How long do you have to keep records of your Federal Taxes

Customer Question
?...
How long do you have to keep records of your Federal Taxes ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/19/2016
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Tax Attorney
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!
Pursuant to the IRS (https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-long-should-i-keep-records): Keep records for 3 years if situations (4), (5), and (6) below do not apply to you.Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return.Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.Keep records for 6 years if you do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return.Keep records indefinitely if you do not file a return.Keep records indefinitely if you file a fraudulent return.Keep employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney