How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a foreign national, I have a company in my home country.

Customer Question

I am a foreign national, I have a company in my home country. I opened a branch in the US - I am a sole proprietor of the LLC. I do not live in the US. I have a client in Florida who wants to pay me and is asking for a w9. I do not know how to fill it out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.
Hello,If you are a foreign person with a US LLC then the US LLC will be what is known as a disregarded entity for US federal income tax purposes. Instead of completing and providing Form W-9 you would need to complete and provide Form W-8BEN. Here are the instructions - Form is fairly straightforward but let me know if you have any questions on it and I will get back to you as soon as I can.Best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that imply that my client will suffer higher taxes??? Will they lose money???
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.
No your client would not lose any money and would still pay the amount you invoice. Since you are not engaged in a trade or business in the US there should be no withholding taxes applied on the payment made from your customer to yourself.
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.
Your client would not suffer higher taxes as a result of paying you.